Leslie Van Houten is a former member of the Manson Family, a notorious cult led by Charles Manson that committed several murders in 1969. She was convicted of participating in the killings of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca, a wealthy couple who lived in Los Angeles. She was sentenced to death, but later commuted to life in prison. She spent more than 50 years behind bars, until she was released on parole on July 11, 2023, after a long and controversial legal battle.
In this post, we will explore the life and crimes of Leslie Van Houten, her age, wiki, family, husband, career, net worth and more. We will also look at the latest news and updates about her parole and release. Read on to find out more about this fascinating and controversial figure.
Leslie Van Houten Biography Profile
|Name||Leslie Louise Van Houten|
|Date of Birth||August 23, 1949|
|Birth Place||Altadena, California, U.S.|
|Age (as of 2023)||74|
|Ethnicity||Irish, English, Scottish, Dutch, and German descent|
|Home Town/State||Altadena, California, U.S.|
|School||Monrovia High School in Monrovia, California|
|Educational Qualification||High school graduate|
Early Life and Education
- She grew up in a middle-class churchgoing family along with an older brother and two adopted siblings, a brother and a sister, who were Korean.
- Her mother and father divorced when she was 14. She began taking LSD and Benzedrine, and smoking hashish around age 15, running away for a time, but returning to complete high school.
- She said that later at age 17, she became pregnant and was ordered by her mother to undergo an abortion and to bury the aborted fetus in their backyard. Van Houten stated that after this event, she felt very removed from her mother and harbored intense anger toward her.
- She had a period of interest in yoga and took a year-long secretarial course, but became a hippie, living at a commune.
- She graduated from Monrovia High School in Monrovia, California in 1967. She was elected Homecoming Princess while attending the school.
Ex-Manson follower Leslie Van Houten released from prison after 53 years
Leslie Van Houten, a former follower of Charles Manson who was involved in two brutal murders in 1969, was released from prison on Tuesday after serving 53 years of a life sentence. Van Houten, who was 19 when she joined the Manson cult, was convicted of stabbing Rosemary LaBianca to death, while another cult member killed her husband, Leno LaBianca, at their Los Angeles home. Van Houten’s parole was granted by a state appeals court in May, after being repeatedly blocked by the governor’s office. Van Houten, now 73, will live in a transitional housing program and be under parole supervision. She is the first of the Manson family members convicted of murder to be freed from prison.
|Father Name||Paul Van Houten|
|Mother Name||Jane (née Edwards)|
|Brother(s)||One older brother (name unknown)|
|Sister(s)||One adopted sister from Korea (name unknown)|
|Wife/Husband||William Syvin (August 23, 1982 – October 26, 1982) (divorced)|
Leslie Van Houten’s & William Syvin Marriage life
Leslie Van Houten had one husband, William Syvin. He was also in jail and knew Charles Manson. They got married in jail on August 23, 1982. They could see each other and sleep together, but they split up after two months, on October 26, 1982. No one knows why they split up, but some people think it was because Syvin wanted to help Van Houten get out of jail. Van Houten said she did not know about Syvin’s plan and stopped talking to him when the police found a jail guard’s clothes in his place. Van Houten did not marry anyone else after Syvin and stayed single until she got out of jail in 2023.
- After a few months in a commune in Northern California, Van Houten met Catherine Share and Bobby Beausoleil and moved in with them and another woman during the summer of 1968. The four broke up after jealous arguments, and Share left to join Charles Manson’s commune. Van Houten, then aged 19, followed Share.
- At this time, she phoned her mother to say she was dropping out and would not be making contact again. Manson decided when they would eat, sleep, and have sex, and with whom they would have sex. He also controlled the taking of LSD, giving followers larger doses than he himself took.
- Van Houten was arrested and charged in relation to the 1969 killings of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca. She was convicted and sentenced to death. However, the California Supreme Court decision on People v. Anderson then ruled in 1972 that the death penalty was unconstitutional, resulting in her sentence being commuted to life in prison.
- Her conviction was then overturned in a 1976 appellate court decision which granted her a retrial. Her second trial ended with a deadlocked jury and a mistrial. At her third trial in 1978, she was convicted of two counts of murder and one count of conspiracy and sentenced to seven years to life in prison.
- She was paroled in 2023 after being denied parole several times since 1982.
Physical Stats and More:
|Height (Aprox.)||in centimeters- cm|
|Weight (Aprox.)||in Kilograms- kg|
|Favorite Dance Form||N/A|
|Favorite Things to Do||N/A|
|Favorite Sports Person||N/A|
- Does she smoke? | N/A
- Does she consume alcohol? | N/A
- Does she drive? | N/A
- Does she know cooking? | N/A
- Does she swim? | N/A
- Is she a practitioner? | N/A
- Does she go to the gym? | N/A
- Is she a jogger? | N/A
- Does she travel? | N/A
- Does she have pets? | N/A
- Does she play any instruments? | N/A
- Does she have any tattoos? | Yes, she has a tattoo of ocean waves and bamboo on her left shoulder.
Social Media Handles
|Social Media Platform||Handle/Username|
- Who was Neusa Maria Faro
- Who was Sue Johanson’s husband, Ejnor Johanson?
- Who was Meg Johnson?
- Who was Rick Froberg?
- Who is Darren Drozdov’s , ex-wife Julie Youngberg?
We hope you enjoyed reading our article on Who is Leslie Van Houten? Age, Wiki, Family, Husband, Carrier, Net Worth & More. We are committed to bringing you interesting and informative biographies of remarkable people on our blog. If you learned something new and found this article helpful, please share it with your friends. Your comments, likes, and shares inspire us to write more quality content.