John Tilley was a film executive who died at 75 on October 10, 2023. He was known for bringing the films of Spanish director Pedro Almodovar to the U.S. market. He worked for various independent film companies, such as United Artists Classics, Cinevista, and Strand Releasing. He also co-founded ProActive, a consultancy firm that helped European filmmakers reach international audiences. He was born in Columbia, South Carolina, and graduated from the University of South Carolina. He started his career as a reporter for WKYT-TV and then became a film distributor and producer. He married Martha Henderson in 1991 and had no children of his own. He died of cancer in New York City.
John Tilley Biography Profile
|Date of Birth||N/A|
|Birth Place||Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.|
|Age (as of 2023)||75 (deceased)|
|Profession||Film distribution executive and consultant|
|Home Town/State||Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.|
|College||University of South Carolina|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor’s degree|
|Hobbies||Watching and promoting independent films|
|Marital Status||In a relationship|
John Tilley Early Life and Education:
- John Tilley was born in Columbia, South Carolina, and graduated from the University of South Carolina with a bachelor’s degree.
- He developed a passion for cinema and specialized film exhibition and distribution.
John Tilley Family Details:
John Tilley Career Highlights:
- John Tilley started his career at Libra Films, working with pioneering distributor Ben Barenholtz, handling the releases of films including David Lynch’s “Eraserhead” and Derek Jarman’s “Sebastiane.”
- He then became the National Sales Director at United Artists Classics, where he expanded the company’s activities from repertory film to first-run theatrical releases and films from outside United Artists.
- He co-founded Cinevista, Inc., with Rene Fuentes, acquiring and releasing the first eight features from Pedro Almodovar, as well as titles from Jarman, Paul Morrissey, Jonathan Demme and M. Night Shyamalan.
- He founded ProActive in 1997 with Joy Pereths, which focused on empowering independent filmmakers in the U.K. and Europe, representing Ken Loach’s Parallax Films, Film 4, the British Council and British Screen Finance.
- He worked as an independent distribution consultant on specialty films and documentaries including Ronnie Larson’s “Shooting Porn” and Slava Tsukerman’s “Perestroika,” and helped establish home video distribution departments at Picture This! Entertainment and at Overseas/First Look.
- He joined Strand Releasing in 2001, overseeing home video distribution of numerous titles, including Gregg Araki’s “Mysterious Skin,” Fatih Akin’s “Head-On” and Lucrecia Martel’s “The Headless Woman.”
- He served as executive VP acquisitions and theatrical distribution for Olive Films, managing the release of 10 features, include three which were their countries’ submissions for foreign language Oscars.
- He served as sales rep for Simon Glass’ documentary “The Last Tribe” and Mike Malloy’s “Eurocrime.”
- Who is Charles Feeney’s wife Danielle Feeney?
- Who is Michael Chiarello’s Wife Eileen Gordon Chiarello?
- Who was Hughes Van Ellis?
- Who was Louise Meriwether?
- Who was Kevin Phillips?
Thank you for reading our article about “Who was John Tilley? Cause of Death, Age, Wiki, Bio, Family, Career, Net Worth & More”. We hope you enjoyed learning more about this amazing person and her life story. We are always eager to share interesting and inspiring biographies of celebrities and influencers with our readers. If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and leave a comment below. Your feedback and support motivate us to write more quality content for you. Stay tuned for more updates on our blog!