Baba Maharaj Satarkar was a renowned kirtankar and pravachankar who dedicated his life to the service of the Varkari sect of Hinduism. He was born on February 5, 1936, in Satara, Maharashtra, India and passed away on October 26, 2023, at the age of 87. He was famous for his melodious voice, captivating narration and profound wisdom. He sang kirtans in various languages and composed many abhangs (devotional poems). He also wrote books and translated the works of Sant Dnyaneshwar and Sant Tukaram.
He received many awards and honors for his contribution to the field of kirtan and spirituality, such as the Padma Shri in 2010. He was also a loving husband, father and grandfather who left behind a legacy of excellence and passion. In this post, we will explore his life, career, family, net worth and more. We will also pay tribute to his memory and celebrate his achievements.
Baba Maharaj Satarkar Biography Profile
|Name||Baba Maharaj Satarkar|
|Date of Birth||February 5, 1936|
|Birth Place||Satara, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (as of 2023)||87 (deceased)|
|Profession||Kirtankar, Pravachankar, Spiritual Leader|
|Home Town/State||Satara, Maharashtra, India|
|Religion||Hinduism (Varkari sect)|
|Hobbies||Singing, reading, travelling|
Baba Maharaj Satarkar Early Life and Education
Baba Maharaj Satarkar was born on February 5, 1936, in Satara, Maharashtra, India. He belonged to the Gore Satarkar family, which had a tradition of kirtan and pravachan for over three generations. His grandfather Dada Maharaj was a renowned kirtankar who had influenced many other kirtankars in Maharashtra. Baba Maharaj was trained and guided by his grandfather from his childhood. He started singing kirtan at the age of four and followed the style of Dada Maharaj.
|Children||Four children (two sons and two daughters)|
Baba Maharaj Satarkar Career Highlight:
Baba Maharaj Satarkar was a famous kirtankar and pravachankar who devoted his life to the service of the Varkari sect. He travelled across India and abroad to spread the teachings of Sant Dnyaneshwar, Sant Tukaram and other saints. He sang kirtans in various languages such as Marathi, Hindi, Kannada and English. He also composed many abhangs (devotional poems) and wrote books on spirituality. He was known for his melodious voice, captivating narration and profound wisdom.
Some of his notable works are:
- Kirtan Mahotsav: A series of kirtans performed by Baba Maharaj and other kirtankars at various places in India and abroad.
- Santancha Sangati: A book that contains the biographies and teachings of various saints of the Varkari sect.
- Dnyaneshwari: A commentary on the Bhagavad Gita written by Sant Dnyaneshwar in Marathi. Baba Maharaj translated it into Hindi and Kannada and also recorded it in audio format.
- Haripath: A collection of abhangs composed by Sant Dnyaneshwar that describe the glory of Lord Vishnu. Baba Maharaj sang them in various languages and also wrote a commentary on them.
- Amrutwani: A collection of abhangs composed by Baba Maharaj that express his devotion to Lord Vitthal.
Baba Maharaj received many awards and honors for his contribution to the field of kirtan and spirituality. Some of them are:
- Maharashtra Gaurav Puraskar: Awarded by the Government of Maharashtra in 1998.
- Kirtan Ratna: Awarded by the Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan in 2000.
- Sant Tukaram Puraskar: Awarded by the Government of Maharashtra in 2002.
- Padma Shri: Awarded by the Government of India in 2010.
Baba Maharaj Satarkar Personal life and death
Baba Maharaj Satarkar was married to Rukmini Satarkar, who was also a kirtankar. They had four children: two sons (Rameshwar and Prakash) and two daughters (Sunita and Shubhangi). All of them followed their father’s footsteps and became kirtankars. Baba Maharaj also had many grandchildren and great-grandchildren who inherited his musical talents.
Baba Maharaj Satarkar passed away on October 26, 2023, at the age of 87 at his residence in Nerul, Navi Mumbai. He had been suffering from age-related ailments for some time. His death was mourned by many people across India and abroad who admired his kirtans and pravachans. His cremation was held on October 27, 2023, at Nerul. His body was placed at Vitthal Rukmini Mandir for the final darshan before the cremation.
- Who is Richard Roundtree’s ex-wife, Mary Jane Grant?
- Who was Richard Roundtree?
- Karen M. Ciernia, the second wife of Richard Roundtree
- Who was Nate Davenport?
- Who was Robert Irwin ?
Thank you for reading our article about “Who was Baba Maharaj Satarkar? Age, Wiki, Bio, Family, Net Worth & More”. We hope you enjoyed learning more about this amazing person and her life story. We are always eager to share interesting and inspiring biographies of celebrities and influencers with our readers. If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and leave a comment below. Your feedback and support motivate us to write more quality content for you. Stay tuned for more updates on our blog!